The goal of the Navigation Center is to provide a warm, welcoming environment of support and services tailored to the unique needs of San Francisco’s homeless population living on the streets. The Center will be operated differently than the existing San Francisco single adult shelter system in that it will be low-threshold with minimum rules and requirements in order to attract the most hard to serve homeless who usually refuse to navigate the existing shelter system.
Up to 128 homeless single adults and couples without children will be accommodated at the Navigation Center located at 125 Bayshore at any given time. This one-stop center will provide short-term stays based on harm reduction principles with the objective of providing intensive services leading to housing or treatment exits as quickly as possible. This environment will be unique in that it will be developing trusting relationships with people that have lived on the streets and don’t usually enter shelter. It will be a low threshold, minimal rule environment with a harm reduction focus.
Through the use of Social and Restorative Justice principals, Five Keys provides traditionally underserved communities the opportunity to restart their education with a focus on the Five Keys: EDUCATION, EMPLOYMENT, RECOVERY, FAMILY, AND COMMUNITY.
Originally established by the SF Sheriff’s Department (2003) as the first charter school in the nation to operate inside of a county jail, today Five Keys is a nationally recognized education management (non-profit) corporation that operates accredited charter schools and programs for TAY youth and adults at 70 locations across California.
Five Keys operates with the goal of restoring communities through education and other programs that respond to the students’ and community needs---which in turn creates safer communities. Five Keys provides a range of educational programs and services including: high school diploma, career and technical education, digital literacy, ESL, cognitive behavioral, recovery programs, case management, correctional education consulting and college access to transitional aged youth and adults in six California counties.
The Operations Ambassador acts as a resource, ally, and advisor to Navigation Center participants, supporting the routine operation of the Navigation Center by monitoring the facility to ensure the health and safety of all on-site.
The Operations Ambassador will provide participants with a meaningful Orientation about Navigation Center programs and services and engaging them in Navigation Center activities. Each Operations Coordinator will also provide and help maintain a safe, clean, and comfortable environment for all.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Checking the interior (participant sleeping quarters, bathrooms, showers, participant laundry area and community room) and exterior of the building on a regularly-assigned schedule to maintain a clean, safe environment.
- De-escalation of potential client conflicts
- Inspecting the facilities to maintain security and program compliance.
- Maintaining the Navigation Center Operations Ambassador log according to procedure.
- Performing all duties within the parameters of Navigation Center Policy and Procedures as well as the legislated Standards of Care policies.
- Helping orient all participants to program rules and responsibilities of the Navigation Center.
- Working with the on-duty Navigation Center Shelter Supervisor to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations in a fair and equitable manner for all participants.
- Maintaining Navigation Center records in an accurate, complete and legible manner (including attendance at group meetings, disciplinary actions, bed assignments, etc.).
- Answering phones, taking messages, attending to requests for information in a professional manner according to Navigation Center procedure.
- Maintaining database records according to HSH and Navigation Center procedures.
- Assisting Navigation Center volunteers and visitors by providing a warm welcoming atmosphere.
- Completing and submitting maintenance requests to the Assistant Director of Operations regarding failed equipment and needed repairs.
- Responding to all participant requests and questions in a professional and courteous manner.
- Immediately reporting any problems to the Navigation Center Shelter Supervisor and Assistant Director of Operations in accordance with Navigation Center policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Director of Operations and Shelter Supervisor overseeing Center operations ensuring a safe environment for staff and participants.
- The Operations Ambassador will ensure that security policies and measures are consistently implemented and adhered to in collaboration with security staff when they are on-duty.
- With direction from the Shelter Supervisor and Assistant Director of Operations, manage site-specific emergencies or crises.
- Provide crisis intervention taking direction from Site Management.
- Attending and participating in the daily Shift Change Meetings communicating all issues and concerns to staff coming on the next shift.
- Maintaining a clean and healthy environment for participants including the stripping of beds, clearing of lockers, and sleeping areas as assigned.
- At the end of every shift, ensuring paperwork is complete and workspace is cleaned and organized.
- Collecting, inventorying, tagging, storing, and disposing of participant property according to Navigation Center policies and procedures.
- Encouraging participants to engage in groups, activities, and services.
- Work with the Shelter Supervisor in making decisions regarding critical incidents relating to the operation of the Navigation Center and its participants. As needed, Operations Ambassadors will immediately alert the Supervisor or any Navigation Center Management present regarding the situation and seek direction.
- May also be responsible for facilitating groups, workshops, and client meetings.
- Refer participants to Navigation Center Care Management staff and communicate any concerns or issues related to that participant.
- Commit to attending all staff meetings and trainings even when outside of regular work hours. Participation in all applicable staff trainings and staff meetings is crucial to the success of every FKSP employee.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness of facility including light janitorial, trash remove, assist in cleaning spills, eating areas and restrooms.
- Performing all other duties as assigned and required.